Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"The Road to Hollywood": Why Not Always Do It This Way?

As far as audition episodes go, tonight’s “The Road to Hollywood” clip show was pretty good. In fact, I think this is how all the audition episodes should go.

Instead of having one city per episode, why not just give us several clip shows like this one? I think that would be way more entertaining.

However there was a possibly bittersweet moment in tonight’s hour. If you’ve been reading the Internet, or magazines, or even my column in yesterday’s H-D, you know that there are reports a contestant was replaced in the top 24 because his dad broke the show’s confidentiality agreement. Because I hate spoilers I won’t tell you the contestant’s name, but I will tell you we saw him tonight. And if the reports are true, it will be sad because he was good…

Here are my thoughts on tonight’s episode…

Of course they had to start things off by addressing the “Pants On the Ground” phenomenon…

How smitten was Victoria with Simon when she found out he co-wrote Jessica’s audition song, “Footprints in the Sand” (which was on Leona Lewis’ debut album)? I still can’t believe Simon is that sappy…

Crystal (“Piece of My Heart”) is from Elliston, Ohio. I looked it up. It’s southeast of Toledo…

Lacey (“Somewhere Over the Rainbow”) sat next to Megan Joy during the “Green Mile” episode when they chose Megan. Boy did they make the wrong choice there…

I would absolutely add Thaddeus (“How Am I Supposed to Live Without You”) to my fave list…

What was up with Adrian’s (“Can’t Help Falling In Love With You”) super high voice? Love the nickname Blondezilla…

Michael, aka Big Mike, pulled the Simon’s favorite song card with “Unchained Melody,” but he nailed it…

I liked Didi (“Hey Jude”) even though I should be cautious of girls with strange tones to their voices…

Aaron (“The Climb”) is 16 going on 10. But it was a great song choice and I really liked him…

Was Kimberly (“I Kissed a Girl”) really not wearing underwear?...

I thought with the setup that Shaddaii (“Fallin’”) was going to be able to sing. I’m just glad they showed her so we could get another glimpse of NPH…

And Joe Jonas got one more chance to say something meaningful tonight, and he still didn’t. Sheesh…

All in all 181 people got golden tickets to…

HOLLYWOOD WEEK! WOO-HOO! And this season we get three full Hollywood episodes. I’m sure that’s because of Ellen, but I don’t care. I’m just so glad we’re getting them…

It all begins on Tuesday night. I’m finally starting to get excited, kids…