Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

LA: Feeling "Hot" for Katy Perry

Today in my column in the “Herald-Dispatch,” I complained that the guest judges just weren’t getting it done.

And then tonight, we got Katy Perry. She had me at “I’ll throw my Coke in your face.”

Here are my thoughts on LA…

So how many of you want to run out to Kohl’s and buy that hooded sweatshirt with the horns tomorrow?...

It’s contestants like Neal (“Rock and Roll Dreams Come True”) that make me cringe. You know a large part of his act was fake. The funniest part was when he accidentally ran into the easel…

Jim (his original, “Drive”) looks to continue the hot streak of worship pastors on the show. But what was Avril doing? Her job was to decide on the voice, not whether or not he could handle a career. And then Kara almost went along with her? Huh?...

I’m just curious what Damien (“You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feeling”) thinks he did when he said he choked…

Daniel Franco (“Project Runway”) auditioned?! Why didn’t we see that? He’s the guy who said he looked like the love child of Adam Lambert and Susan Boyle. Wonder if he sang the Daniel Franco song that Santino and Nick wrote (“Runway” fans will get that.)?...

There was a real voice inside of A.J. (“Cult of Personality”) somewhere, but clearly if Adam Lambert complimented his voice, he was just being kind…

I loved it when Katy asked if contestants were frisked before they came into the room…

Crying Girl auditioned? Of course…

Jason (“I Touch Myself”) definitely set off my cringe alert. I think Ryan was actually freaked when Jason gave him his number. Does that mean Ryan wouldn’t take my number if I gave it to him?...

I am officially in love with Katy. Anyone who takes on Kara is awesome in my book…

Katy earned even more points with me when she told Kara after Chris’ (“Stand By Me”) audition that this was not a Lifetime movie. But I disagreed with Katy and Simon’s lack of enthusiasm for Chris. I liked him…

All in all, 23 people made it to Hollywood—including one on a tie breaker decided by Simon. Sorry we missed the debate over that one…

Tomorrow it’s NPH! Woo-hoo! Remember, it’s an hour beginning at 8 p.m. on FOX…