Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Has Lee DeWyze Burned His "Idol" Bridges?

Here’s a juicy story I missed during my post-finale break that I had to go back and talk about…

If you read my live blog during the finale, you noticed that I commented about why there was no presentation of the winner’s trophy. Well, apparently Executive Producer Nigel Lythgoe was wondering that too.

After the finale, he tweeted, “I was so upset Lee DeWyze wouldn’t present the winners trophy to Scotty. Especially as he’s been on the show this season. I guess he’s shy.” DeWyze responded by tweeting, “Just for the record, I was not asked to be involved in the finale. It wasn’t until about 2 minutes before they announced that Nigel had approached me and asked if he could ‘borrow’ me for a second. I didn’t feel a last-second jump on stage was appropriate. It was Scotty’s moment. I appreciate ‘American Idol,’ and the opportunity it has given me. And the people who have made that show possible. I am not angry, or bitter etc. It was an amazing finale, and I would have loved to be a part of it. I just wasn’t asked.”

That elicited this response from Nigel: “True, he wasn’t asked to sing, but Lee knows he was asked to present the trophy a week before.” Lee responded, “I have no hard feelings towards Nigel, Idol, or anyone else. I love music, and that’s what I’m going to focus on. I support ‘American Idol’ and all it has done for me. I respect the decisions made for the Finale, and hope all’s well that ends well.”

So, who do you believe? The previous season’s winner has been involved in the finale every year, so it’s hard not to believe Nigel. But Lee has no reason to lie.

What we do know is that Lee DeWyze has probably made his last singing appearance on “Idol.” And whether he’s telling the truth or not, I totally disagree with Lee’s argument that it was inappropriate for him to make the presentation. As last year’s winner, I think it was totally appropriate…

Photo Credit: Michael Becker/FOX