Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Katie Stevens: "I'm excited for what's to come"

It was Katie Stevens who gave us the word “overcaffeinated” to describe Ryan Seacrest’s behavior. But during her media conference call last week, she wouldn’t repeat it, saying only that he was “funny.”

Here’s a taste of what else Katie had to say:

On what she’ll do next: “I actually don’t think I will be able to attend prom or graduation because that’s when tour rehearsals will start. But definitely, I’m going to go back home; hang out with my friends; keep up with school so that I can graduate and get my diploma. But I’m really looking forward to the tour and, hopefully, after that writing an album. We’ll see how it goes. I’m excited for what’s to come.”

On her conflicting advice from the judges: “I think where I went at fault in the beginning of the competition, during the top 24, when I was getting all of the bad comments and stuff, I think that was when I was trying to please the judges and I wasn’t pleasing myself and doing what I love. So I decided going into the top 12 that I was just going to be myself and so everything that I did at that point was what I love to do. I think that that kind of showed off, so the judges started giving me better comments.

Simon telling me that he thought I was country; I mean they all know what they’re talking about, but ultimately I need to, again, do what I love and do what I feel is best for me. I kind of side more with Kara in the pop with R&B leanings. In an album I would like to record things like Kelly Clarkson, where she has the soulful voice, kind of R&B, soul, pop with rock background. I hope to record that kind of album soon."

On the judges using the save on Michael Lynche: “I love Big Mike and I was so happy that he got saved and all of us contestants were able to spend another week with him. I mean it was weird, because I had this feeling that it was going to be me when I was standing next to him. I’m so proud of him and all of the other contestants. They’re amazing. I was so privileged to be able to spend time with them and work with all of them. I was definitely happy to sing at the end. I mean, obviously, it’s a little emotional, but I tried as best I could and that wasn’t the last time that America is going to see me, so just got to keep that in mind.”

On the judges telling her she needed to be young: “I mean it definitely was difficult getting the whole young comments and then having to do older songs, but I’ve never been afraid of a challenge and I was happy to sing those songs. I mean, obviously, everybody wants to win, but I still wanted to keep myself in check and say, 'You know what? Don’t forget where you came from.' It was definitely the experience of a lifetime and it has helped me so much learn who I am as an artist and as a person. I mean I didn’t see myself in a no-win situation, but you’ve always got to be prepared to go home, because everybody is going to go home but one.”

Photo Credit: Michael Becker/FOX