Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Scott MacIntyre: "They can throw whatever they want at me"

Let’s face it. No matter how good Scott MacIntyre’s story is, his vocals just haven’t matched it. As I’m typing this, “Best Week Ever” just SERIOUSLY dogged him by saying, “Just because he’s blind doesn’t mean we have to be deaf.” OUCH!

But hearing Scott tell his story, it’s really hard not to fall under his charming spell and to want him to do well…

Here’s some of what he had to say during his media conference call Thursday…

On making the Top 13: “It feels amazing. It’s still sinking in. I was having the time of my life. To have that many people support me is just a dream come true.”

On his high five with Ryan: “I’m the last person to ever be offended [by that kind of thing]. It’s been happening my whole life. I thought everyone would be wondering about it, so I wanted to do it. I love [Ryan].”

On his blindness: “I’ve never thought of it as a disadvantage. It’s more challenging. I’m so up for rising to the occasion. I’m just having a great time.” Scott explained that he has people helping him to find the cameras. “It’s great to have people to teach me.”

On the choreography: “I have some dance in my background. I’m not too worried about it. As long as I know I’m not gonna fall off the stage I’m good, and that’s a joke of course.” Later, Scott said, “Oh yeah, I’m quite the dancer.”

On what’s to come on the show: “They can throw whatever they want at me and I’ll deal with it.”

On his show experience: “Idol has just been great accommodating me. I’ve been just so thankful. Between my brother and my mother, and the other contestants everyone has been great about helping me…Ryan’s great…I just enjoy the friendships. That’s one of the biggest things I’ve taken away from it so far. It’s the most fun I’ve had in a long time.”

Scott also explained that he has had people teach him things over the years, like moving his hands when he talks. “Anything you see me do, it looks natural now, but it wasn’t always that way. Some great people have pointed that stuff out to me.”

On choosing “Mandolin Rain” and Simon’s criticism of the lyrics: “They are great lyrics and Simon needs to get with it. I chose that song because that’s the only song I know that talks about listening. And listening is such a big part of my life. It really worked for that round, I thought.”

On his type of music: “[Mandolin Rain] is definitely representative of a small part of the music I do. But it has some more pop/rock edge to it. Whatever the theme is, I’m always going to choose something that I can make work for me. I’m trying to stay current.”

Scott explained that he will not necessarily have same people helping him each week. “I’m trying to spread the love around.”

On making eye contact with the cameras: “I’m not worried about it at all. It’s definitely a challenge. During the group number, I had to guesstimate distances and angles. I’ve done a lot of that over the years. I use my memory and my ears and I hope for the best.”

On playing the piano: “That is the entire reason I’m here. I’ve let them know from the very beginning I can inspire with my music best from behind the piano. I can really emote when I’m sitting at the piano. It’s where all my magical moments happen.”

In his closing comments to the media, Scott said, “Thanks to all of you for your support. Any time you can pass on my gratitude to the voting public—I’m not taking it for granted. It’s an amazing platform. It’s really a blessing to be here.”