Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Random Thoughts From Kansas City

Kansas City, the home of David Cook…

Here are my random thoughts that I wrote down as I was watching…

“A cat jumping off the Empire State Building” (Chelsea, “Can’t Live Without You”). Now that’s the Simon we know and love! And of course, Kara doesn’t like it. It’ll get worse, Kara…
Could Ryan have dressed up just a little? I mean, a flannel shirt? That’s so 90s…

Simon co-wrote that sappy Leona Lewis song? Are you serious? And what was with that split-screen? Is this “24” now?...
Casey (“A Thousand Miles”) had a really interesting voice and that was a perfect song choice. But I can’t see her going far…

Why does Simon keep asking people that don’t make it through if they’re disappointed? Duh!...

Cook’s mom and stepdad. Nice!...And accompanying it with his version of “Billie Jean”? Even nicer…


I actually liked James’ arrangement of “When You Say Nothing At All.” It sounded like a Cascada cover…


Jiminy Christmas! What a voice Von (“Over the Rainbow”) has. But he’s a bit of a drama queen. I’m glad they let him through…

So Michael Castro (“I’m in Love With a Girl”) has a better voice than his brother, Jason, but he’s got that same “whatever” attitude. Do we really need another one of those?...

I loved Matt (“Ain’t No Sunshine”)! What was Randy listening to?...

And Simon, don’t ask the question if you don’t want to hear the answer…

I really liked Jessica (“Crybaby”) too. Her look was cool…

I also liked Jamar (“California Dreamin’”). Uh, Paula, when did he fall off pitch?...

Woah. Danny (“I Heard It Through the Grapevine”) was a little tough to take, wasn’t it? I’m really glad he was good and I can’t wait to see what happens to him…

Awoop (“Thank You”) was good too…

I just really don’t know what to say about Andrew (“My Girl”). Usually when contestants resort to gimmicks, they can’t sing; but Andrew could. So why the cheerleaders? I thought his audition was good, but the judges were already turned off by the theatrics. And why did Randy change his mind after “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg.” I thought it was okay…

I actually laughed at Michael Nicewater (the original songs for his mom and grandmother). And Simon’s Hallmark career advice? Classic…
However, I actually winced at Dennis (“With You”). Randy and the girls let him through strictly for entertainment value. Hey, Simon got Bikini Girl…

That girl singing Jessica Simpson that Simon didn’t like actually sounded just like Jessica…

“God’s gonna get you?” (Mia, “Lovin’ You”) Alrighty then…

And of course they’d play Fantasia after Lil Rounds’ (that Stevie Wonder song) audition…

27 people from Kansas City went to Hollywood. That’s much better…

By the way, this is the only kind of thing that song (“I Believe”) works for…

Did I just see the “actressing” chick in next week’s previews?...

Oh yeah. Hollywood week is coming…But first we have more auditions…

My recap is coming, but it will be a little slow because it is “Top Chef” night…
Photos Credit: Michael Becker/FOX