Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Random Thoughts From Arizona...

So here are some random thoughts from the auditions…

Tuan (“The Way You Make Me Feel”) was a great start to the season. And did anyone else see that look on Kara’s face like “What did I get myself into?”…

I’m glad to hear that Emily Hughes’ (“Barracuda”) band plight will be revisited in Hollywood. She could be a very interesting story…

I thought Aundrae (X-Ray) (“Cacti”) was cool in a terribly odd way…

Arianna (“Put Your Records On”) was way too effortless in her audition. And she’s got that charity thing going too. I wonder if Group Day will break her…

Only 10 people made it to Hollywood on Day One?! Yipes!!!...

Anyone who says they’re a cross between Hilary Duff and Madonna is bound to be scary. But Lea Marie (Kara’s #1 fan) wasn’t all that bad. A little work on the nasalness and she’d be okay…Along with a little dial down on the annoyingness…

Kara called Stevie Wright (“At Last”) “my girl so far.” Hmmm…And it’s interesting that Paula mentioned Kelly Clarkson, because I thought her voice sounded a little like Kelly…

Michael Sarver (“Thank You”) is the kind of story “Idol” loves, but I think he’ll get chewed up and spit out in Hollywood. He’s the kind of guy who always forgets his lyrics…

By the way, I may have gotten that name wrong. I think Ryan just called him Jeremy…

I really thought they’d hold Bikini Girl until the end, but they threw us a bone at the 75 minute mark. Kara’s got nerve and confidence, there’s no doubt about that. Did she actually call Katrina a [witch]? And I don’t think Ryan thought she’d actually kiss him. He was a little freaked…

Surprisingly, Eric Thomas, aka “Sexual Chocolate” (“Ribbons in the Sky”), had an actual voice, if he had actually used it…

When was the last time we heard “Let’s Hear It for the Boy” as an audition song? Nice choice! And it got Brianna through when Simon turned into a big ol’ softie. She won’t last long, though…

Is Deanna (“Sittin’ On the Dock of the Bay”) the next Kellie Pickler? With a cooler voice?...

Is it just me or did Cody Shelton (“Wonderful World”) look like a cross between Sanjaya and Pete Wentz?...

Yea! Alex (“Baby, Come to Me”) could actually sing! Kudos to Kara for putting him through. But why did he want Randy to sing with him?...

After that montage, yeah, Kara’s right. Katrina (Bikini Girl) is terrible…

A touching story to close the show as opposed to a trainwreck. That’s something new…

Scott MacIntyre (“And So It Goes”) is a DOOZY of a story. I hope Hollywood doesn’t chew him up and spit him out too badly…

And sometimes Ryan really is a bit stupid, isn’t he? Did he not realize Scott wouldn’t be able to see his high-five?...

I’ll have a wrap-up in a few…


Photos Credit: Michael Becker/FOX