Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Monday, March 21, 2011

My Motown Choices for the Top 11

I know it’s a theme that they do every year, but I love me some Motown. And I am optimistic that our talented Top 11 will give us more than the combination of Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye songs plus “My Girl” that we usually get.

The Idols have already made their song choices and have even recorded their iTunes tracks. But I would still like to make my requests as to what I would like them to sing…

Pia Toscano, “Midnight Train to Georgia” by Gladys Knight and the Pips
This still has a ballad sound, but she could have some more fun with it.

Jacob Lusk, “Papa Was a Rolling Stone” by The Temptations
This is such a great song and it needs a great voice to do some fun stuff with it. I think Jacob could totally spice this one up.

Scotty McCreery, “My Girl” by The Temptations
I just couldn’t come up with anything else for Scotty. Sorry, I tried.

Stefano Langone, “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” by The Temptations
Okay, I really don’t mean to turn this into a Temptations hour, but I know Stefano could bring home the passion on this one. However, I have a feeling he might rip out Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get It On” or maybe something from Boyz II Men. I just hope he doesn’t do another Stevie Wonder song since he already did.

Haley Rinehart, “Living for the City” by Stevie Wonder
I think with just the right arrangement, Haley could really bring a great blues style to this one.

Naima Adedapo, “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” by Gladys Knight and the Pips
I’m actually looking forward to what Naima is going to go with for real, but I think she could give this one some sass.

Paul McDonald, “I Wish It Would Rain” by The Temptations
What can I say? I love me some Temptations. But I could totally hear Paul’s rasp on this overlooked track.

Lauren Alaina, “Nowhere to Run,” by Martha and the Vandellas
I think Lauren could have some fun with this one, but it’s going to be hard for her to pass up “Can’t Hurry Love” because the Dixie Chicks recorded it.

Thia Megia, “I’ll Be There” by the Jackson Five
I just know this is going to be the one she does, so there’s no sense in picking something else for her.

James Durbin, “War” by Edwin Starr
I know that’s not really the best singing song, but it sure would be fun. My second choice would be “What’s Goin’ On” by Marvin Gaye.

Casey Abrams, “(I Know) I’m Losing You” by The Temptations
Because he is my fave, I am giving him my favorite Motown song of all time. My only concern is that it would give him two angry songs in a row. So I think he could also do “What’s Goin’ On” as well.

Now it’s your turn. What would you like to hear the Top 11 sing?

Photo Credit: Michael Becker/FOX