Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Melinda Doolittle CD Review: "Coming Back" Big

It’s been quite a while since we’ve heard from Melinda Doolittle, but the good news is she’s back in a BIG way with her new album, “Coming Back to You”…

I usually review CDs track by track; but with this one it’s almost too hard to do because the CD has such a seamless flow to it.

The mix of covers and originals have a real funky Motown sound to it and you guys know I love my Motown…

Things get off to a rocking start with “Fundamental Things,” as Melinda proves very quickly that she has not lost her beautiful phrasing ability or her gritty soulful sound…

She then gets jazzy with “It’s Your Love,” the first single. Though I question its single possibilities, I do think it’s a good showcase for Melinda’s voice…

“Coming Back to You” is probably one of the weaker songs on the CD, but it’s still a good one that showcases Melinda’s snarl…

The horns get back to business on “Declaration of Love.” The song has such a Funk Brothers/Phil Spector sound to it, you’re willing to forgive Melinda for going a little over the top in places…

“The Best of Everything” slows things down a little and allows Melinda to concentrate once again on that gorgeous phrasing…

“Wonderful” gets back to a soulful groove. And I love those horns…

Even a song as old as “Dust My Broom” sounds modern in Melinda’s hands and I love it when she shows some attitude…

“I’ll Never Stop Loving You” is a pretty song with lush orchestration, but it doesn’t quite fit in with the rest of the CD…

“I Will Be” is probably the strongest track on the CD as Melinda’s phrasing and soul combine with a solid chorus…

Things slow down again with “If I’m Not In Love,” as Melinda shows off her sultry side…

But before you can get too mellowed, things get SUPER bluesy with “Walkin’ Blue,” which has a great groove…

“We Will Find a Way” takes things back to church as they say as Melinda builds up to a sweeping sentimental chorus…

The CD closes with “Wonder Why,” a love song so beautiful you almost want to cry…

The album reminds me a lot of Melinda’s run on “Idol”—solid as a rock, but without a lot of flash. I’m worried that if this one doesn’t get a lot of radio play it will get ignored.

And that would be a HUGE shame because I would count this one as one of the strongest Idol releases ever.

But honestly, would you expect anything less from Melinda?

“Coming Back to You” is available now. You can hear it for yourself here...
Photo Credit: Hi Fi Recordings