Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Thursday, March 8, 2007

Did We Get the Right 12?

I knew there was going to be a surprise tonight, I just predicted the wrong one. I knew either Antonella or Sanjaya would get through, but I thought it would be Antonella.

But when I saw Sanjaya and Sundance standing alone, I could just feel what was going to happen next…

Tonight, we said goodbye to Jared Cotter, Antonella Barba, Sabrina Sloan, and yes, Sundance Head.

So what happened? Jared just wasn’t original enough, although I preferred him to Brandon Rogers. With Sabrina, I think it was a personality thing. She came off a little too cocky and a little too robotic. But Sundance? I really can’t say. Maybe they didn’t like him attempting Pearl Jam, or maybe they were already over him after his lousy beginning. Or maybe Sanjaya is just that popular.

I’m betting Votefortheworst.com is taking all of the credit as we speak.

As for the judges they had no explanation whatsoever. Simon said maybe the audience had the volume turned down. Paula once again gave her singing competition speech while trying not to badmouth Sanjaya. Interestingly, not one of the other contestants gave Sanjaya a hug of congratulations.

That makes your top 12 Lakisha Jones, Blake Lewis, Chris Sligh, Jordin Sparks, Phil Stacey, Melinda Doolittle, Brandon Rogers, Gina Glocksen, Chris Richardson, Stephanie Edwards, Haley Scarnato, and Sanjaya Malakar.

The show also featured a performance by Carrie Underwood, who didn’t really act like she wanted to be there and the “big announcement” Ryan had been hyping all week turned out to be a charity initiative to help impoverished people in Africa and the United States (I’ll have more on that in the coming days.).

I’ll have much more on the top 12 this weekend, but feel free to give me your initial thoughts now. Were you as surprised as the judges?

Labels: