Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

The Top 8 Girls Make It Interesting...

Thankfully for us and the show, the girls once again saved us from the blahs. And for the very first time I was compelled to vote.

Maybe next year they’ll rethink this whole six guys and six girls thing…

I really wish Ryan would have rethought that turtleneck…

Here’s the rundown…

Jordin Sparks, “Heartbreaker”: 17
You have to admire Jordin for attempting to rock out, but she missed most of the big notes. And that song really focused on the background singers a little too much to showcase her voice.

Sabrina Sloan, “Don’t Let Go (Love)”: 17
I LOVE this song and I thought it was an excellent choice. However, she sounded like she was shouting through some of it and she has very little stage presence.

Antonella Barba, “Put Your Records On”: 11
This was Antonella’s best performance, but that really doesn’t mean much. Her performance did provide some of the night’s most awkward moments as Simon took the opportunity to compliment her on how she’s handled the controversy, but blasted her singing.

Haley Scarnato, “If My Heart Had Wings”: 11
You know it was bad when I almost rated her below Antonella. This was just so cheesy I wanted to run from the room.

Stephanie Edwards, “Sweet Thing”: 16
The performance was good and she’s got a great voice, but this whole arrangement was weird.

Lakisha Jones, “I Have Nothing”: 16
I know it was a good performance, but why didn’t she do the strongest part of the song?

Gina Glocksen, “You Only Call Me When You’re Sober”: 14
This was a good performance and the band was awesome but it was a horrible song choice. Remember what I said about current songs. Simon must agree with me because he lobbied hard for her to stay.

Melinda Doolittle, “I’m a Woman”: 20
My only problem with this performance was that it was too short.

So who should go home? It’s a no-brainer: Antonella and Haley. As for who will go home? I think Haley is definitely gone—especially after her whole “clock in, clock out” comment that made her sound cocky and disinterested. But I really think Gina is in more trouble than Antonella.

And in case you’re wondering, my first votes of the season went to Melinda because I was concerned people might think she’s safe…

We’ll find out the top 12 PLUS we’ll hear the “big announcement” tomorrow at 8 p.m. on FOX…

Labels: