Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Top 2 Performance Show: Did Lauren Do Enough?

Last week on 100.5 WKEE on “Dave & Tia in the Morning” and in today’s column, I said I thought Scotty made a mistake by deferring the choice of who should go first or second to Lauren. I thought that he was risking giving her a real moment that could sway undecided voters.

See what I meant?

Lauren’s final song was a true moment. But was it enough to overcome Scotty’s fan base of young girls who do most of the voting?

Before I answer that, let me say a few things about the show itself. The director nearly robbed both Scotty and Lauren of any moment at all during their last song by focusing more on their journey video playing in the background than on them. And how can anyone concentrate on the songs with those people annoyingly swaying back and forth?

Thankfully, the debut singles are actually good songs. It’s nice to see Jimmy Iovine deviate from the rainbow-mountain climbing-destiny songs of the past and just go with two good songs.

And let me also say that I am so glad Lauren was able to go tonight. As much as I love Haley, that would have been wrong. It wouldn’t have been who America voted for.

Now back to the big question…

This finale reminds me so much of Season 7 with the two Davids. Everyone was sure David Archuleta was going to win in a landslide because he had the young girl vote going for him. But David Cook ended up winning by a pretty substantial margin.

So do I think that will happen again? Did Lauren do enough to overcome Scotty’s young girl fan base?

Yes. I think she did. She gave the three best performances. She had a true moment. And quite frankly, I think she just wanted it more tonight. It will be close, but I think America is going to reward her for her efforts. And quite frankly, if you’re going on tonight’s performances, they should.

What do you guys think? Do you agree with me or do you still think Scotty has it sewn up?

Hit me up on Twitter, Facebook or post a comment here…

Just two more hours to go!