Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Nashville Auditions: A Tad Underwhelming, no?

I wondered why “Idol” would reduce the country music capital of the world to one hour. But after seeing tonight’s episode, I understand why.

In fact, I don’t think I heard Ryan say how many people advanced. And I don’t remember a montage of people getting gold tickets. Hmmm…

I guess it was a bad sign when for the first time this season, the show started out with a bad audition. It was Christine McCaffrey, who spoke in a high-pitched voice. As she walked into the room, she did some kind of vocal exercises and then destroyed “I Hope You Dance.” It was funny that when she said the song she was going to do, JLo grabbed onto Steven and Randy to brace herself…

Then we got the most interesting story of the night—the tale of the exes. Rob Bolin and Chelsee Oaks, both 23, couldn’t work as a couple, but they work great as duet partners. They nearly brought the judges to tears with their rendition of “Love Somebody.” Then Rob did a killer version of “What’s Going On” and Chelsee nailed “Story of Who I Am.” Steven urged the two of them to work things out. There were a few awkward moments in the hallway when all of Chelsee’s family was there and Rob had no one. Plus, Chelsee’s new boyfriend couldn’t quit glaring at Rob. I look for this to be a story point in Hollywood. I think Rob has a real shot…

We then got a montage of weird stuff leading into the audition of Allen Lewis, a tattoo artist from none other than Franklin Furnace. Allen did “Simple Man” in possibly the most intense matter possible. The judges told him no, but he took it very well as he said even the biggest stars failed the first time and he would keep trying. As JLo said, he came in like the toughest guy, but left philosophizing…

Then Steven and Randy fell under the spell of Stormi Henley, a former Miss Teen USA. She did a tepid rendition of “Father Can You Hear Me,” but Steven and Randy let her through. After she left, JLo chastised the guys for letting through what “might be the smallest voice we’ve heard in five cities.” I wouldn’t look for her to last long in Hollywood…

After a montage of nos, Adrienne Beasley of Wickcliff, KY, wowed with “Summertime American Honey.” There was something very interesting about her voice—and I mean that in a good way. The response of her low-key dad to his daughter making it to Hollywood? “Who’s gonna pay your way?”…

Randy seemed to be in a terribly grumpy mood tonight and Steven called him on it, telling him not to tell people they’re not good. His reprimand came after Kaneela Merricks shouted her way through “Sweet Thing.” Trying to be nice, Steven told her to “go home and practice and get good”…

After a montage of bad auditions, including a guy in a blue bodysuit destroying “A Moment Like This,” we got the second person that impressed me (after Rob): Jackie Wilson, 28, from Nashville. Her version of “Change Your Mind” was solid and I liked her look. But she’ll probably be best remembered for the awkward moment in the hall when the man Ryan thought was her father gave her a very un-fatherly kiss. It turned out to be her boyfriend…

Next was the uber-confident 26-year-old Latoya “Younique” Moore who came to her audition in a blue formal gown and with her CD in tow. How Ryan kept a straight face through all of her posing is beyond me. Her version of “When I Close My Eyes” was, of course, terrible. It makes you wonder who actually recorded a CD with her…

We saw three good singers very quickly: Paul McDonald (“Maggie May”), Jimmie Allen and Danny Pate, who did “Papa Was a Rolling Stone” along with the judges. I’m not sure why we only saw the sing-along and not his actual audition. I’m guessing it was some kind of music rights issue…

Matt Dillard, 27, of Cheatham County, Tennessee, came into the audition room on overalls, but instead of singing the expected country song, he did “You Raise Me Up.” JLo said no, but Randy and Steven sent him through…

The last audition was from Lauren Alaina, 15, of Rossville, Ga., who did a Faith Hill song. The judges were in awe of her. I thought she was good, but I didn’t think she was blow me away good like they did. Her family came in just in time to witness Lauren doing a duet of “Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing” with Steven. It sounded really good, even if she did it in too high of a key for him…

When the judges left, Steven declared, “We found the one today. We found her. I believe he was talking about Lauren, but I don’t buy it. She was way too confident for me…

Tuesday, we’re off to the great state of Texas for another two-hour episode…

So what do you guys think? Were you as underwhelmed with Nashville as I was?
Photos Credit: Michael Becker/FOX