Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Siobhan Magnus: "I'm not going to change to please other people"

Siobhan Magnus talked to the media by phone yesterday. And no surprise, the interview was as quirky as she is as she revealed her desire to be in a horror movie and how she discovered her scream…

Here’s a taste of what she had to say…

On her scream: “I’m pretty sure I figured out how to do that in the shower in high school one night. I’m an avid shower singer to much of the dismay of my family and my neighbors, but I was singing a Kelly Clarkson song, and I went to hit one note. I reached it, and I was able to resonate it in a different part of my head that I could belt it that high. Ever since I figured it out I started to use it more and more with different stuff, in school choirs and in my band. It became very useful with the style of singing that I like to do.”

On working in the glass shop: “Yes, I started working in the glass shop about three years ago. It was such an incredible job because you learn so much every day. It’s all chemistry. It’s all science, but it’s happening in your hands, and I love that about it. I could sit for hours and watch my boss make the most amazing things.

He’d tell me what he was doing and how he was doing it. Then if the shop was slow and we didn’t have a lot of customers, he’d have me get on the torch, and he’s say, “Okay, you try,” and he’d tell me how to do something. There were times when he’d be working on a huge piece, and he’d need me to come over and hold the other end and blow in it because he couldn’t reach.

I think that glass blowing does require a certain amount of breath control, but it’s not something that you’re pushing really hard because glass is so sensitive, but I also am very vocal in my job. When customers come in and my boss is working on something and he can't stop and explain, I’ll have to explain for him, so I do a lot of talking and have to be comfortable talking to strangers about what’s going on. It might sound silly, but even that is a big help in just communicating with people and just speaking up.

It gets really loud in the shop from the vents that are on because it gets so hot, and then my boss will play really loud music to get in the zone. It’s such a cool job, and I miss it a lot, but it in many ways has helped shape me as a person, my work ethic and my ability to communicate with other people and just learning about the art which is fascinating.”

On Adam Lambert: “Well, it was wicked flattering being compared to him. Right off the bat I just respect him so much for his individuality and his confidence, and his stage presence is just tremendous. It’s undeniable that he’s born to do what he’s doing. He was extremely helpful as a mentor because he was the first mentor that the show ever had that was a past contestant, so he knew firsthand what it was like to be in our shoes, and that was helpful because he was very sensitive to that. He knew just what to say, and the things he said were so dead on.

I really just tried to absorb every single thing he said, every moment that I had with him. He pointed out some great things not even just about technically singing the right notes or anything, but about the entire performance and your presence on stage and your motions and things to make it more believable. I was just so honored to get to have that time with him, and he was such a kind person that he made it that much easier and less scary. I’m so honored to have met him, to have shared an experience with him, and to be given advice from him, and I hope to see him again soon. He’s a great guy.”

On being different: “That’s definitely something that is important to me from the beginning to show people that that’s something I care about and I take very seriously. I have always been an independent person and a different kind of person, but I’m very stubborn and strong-willed, and it’s important for me to get that across that I’m not going to change to please other people. I do what I do because it rests well on my heart and who I am.

The positive feedback that I received from fans and viewers was tremendous. I couldn’t ask for anything better than receiving letters from younger girls who said to me, ‘I get made fun of at school because I’m different, but watching you has helped me accept the fact that it’s okay and it’s a good thing to be who I am and not back down just because other people intimidate me.’

I’ve received letters where I’ve been brought to tears just because I achieved something that has been a goal of mine for so long to be able to influence the lives especially of young girls in a positive way and just to show them that who you are on the inside is a beautiful thing. You shouldn’t let anyone take that away from you because we are all perfectly made as who we are. To be able to have that connection with fans through this whole experience, through the television and know that I reached people, even if it was just one person. I always said if I could influence one person’s life, then that’s what I’m here for, so I’m just so honored.”

On what she wants to do next: “Well, one thing is I’d love to do some more theater. I love acting. I’ve had a lot of experience in different kinds of theater, musicals and Shakespeare, and I love acting. I do aspire someday to be in something like Phantom of the Opera or Jesus Christ Superstar, like any kind of opera or Broadway-type musical because I love acting and singing, and the two of them together is just so much fun.

I also am a huge horror movie fan, and I definitely aspire to at least make an appearance in a wicked gory kind of horror film with all the stops and the special effects makeup that I’m just so fascinated by. A big dream of mine since all my brothers and sisters are very artistic too would be to collaborate with all of them. My oldest brother, Rory, is an extremely talented filmmaker, and someday I’d love to be in one of his films, and we could all come together and create a Magnus work of art.”

On whether she wishes the judges had saved their save for her: “No, not at all because I couldn’t imagine it not being used on Mike. That was so shocking that there was the chance of him going home that week. I think we all knew when it was announced. They have to save him. There’s no way he should be going home. It would’ve been cool if that didn’t have to happen, but I have faith that everything happens for a reason, and I couldn’t be luckier I think to be where I’m at and to have gotten this far. I love Mike to death, and it’s awesome that he’s still in it.”

Her closing remarks: “I just want to say thank you to everyone, whoever believed in me and supported me, and even thank you to the people who were naysayers because that made me fight harder to get to the point that I made it to. I have the coolest fans and all the Siobhan-bons and Siobhan-bees. It’s just been such a wild ride, and it’s not over. It’s just a new chapter. I hope to take this as an opportunity to start to think even more about what’s next for me which hopefully is going to be an array of things from theater to film to recording and performing all over the place for whoever wants to hear me scream.”

Photo Credit: Michael Becker/FOX