Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Kelly Defends "Idol"

There’s no doubt that Kelly Clarkson is not afraid to speak her mind. And I love her for it…

Thursday, the head of Big Machine Records, Scott Borchetta, jumped to the defense of his star Taylor Swift after critics slammed her Grammy Awards duet with Stevie Nicks (Just for the record, I’ve long thought that Swift couldn’t sing live. This just confirmed it.).

He said, “This is not ‘American Idol.’ This is not a competition of getting up and seeing who can sing the highest note. This is about a true artist and writer and communicator. It's not about that technically perfect performance.”

That’s all Kelly needed…

On her official blog, Kelly wrote an open letter to Borchetta:


"Wow ... Dear Scott Borchetta, I understand defending your artist obviously
because I have done the same in the past for artists I like, including Taylor,
so you might see why it's upsetting to read you attacking 'American Idol' for
producing simply vocalists that hit 'the high notes' ...

You know what,
we not only hit the high notes, you forgot to mention we generally hit the
'right' notes as well. Every artist has a bad performance or two and that is
understandable, but throwing blame will not make the situation at hand any
better.

I have been criticised left and right for having shaky
performances before (and they were shaky) and what my manager or label
executives say to me and the public is 'I'll kick butt next time' or 'every
performance isn't going to be perfect.'

I bring this up because you
should take a lesson from these people and instead of lashing out at other
artists (that in your 'humble' opinion lack true artistry), you should simply
take a breath and realise that sometimes things won't go according to plan or
work out and that's okay.

Sincerely, One of those contestants from
'American Idol' who only made it because of her high notes.”
As I said. You’ve got to love her…
Photo Credit: Mike Ruiz/RCA