Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

David Archuleta CD Review: One Word...Catchy

So if I had to sum up David Archuleta’s CD in one word it would be…catchy.

Just as they did with Jordin Sparks, the people at Jive have produced a CD full of catchy pop numbers that are destined to be radio hits…

The CD starts out with the first single, “Crush,” which you guys know I’m a big fan of…

The next track, “Touch My Hand,” starts out a little rough with David using his lower register, but then it gets incredibly catchy. It’s been in my head all weekend…

“Barriers,” a slower song, is a little too overproduced with its strange echoes and some weird bridges…

The first time David hit the chorus of “My Hands,” I couldn’t help but smile. With its syncopated rhythms it’s SUPER catchy. I smell a bigtime radio hit…

“A Little Too Not Over You” is a clever break-up song that is, you guessed it, incredibly catchy…

“You Can” slows things down a little bit, but it’s not nearly as sappy as the title might suggest…

“Running” is not a bad song, it just doesn’t quite work for me…

“Desperate” is meant to be a more moody song and it actually works…

“To Be With You” is the first real ballad of the CD and it’s quite pretty…

“Don’t Let Go,” which Archie co-wrote with J.C. Chasez, is a pretty standard upbeat song, but it’s another one that doesn’t quite work…

When “Your Eyes Don’t Lie” came on, I actually said, “What is that?” since it begins with a western sound, complete with whistling. But when David hit that last chorus, I was right there with him, although I think we could have done without the whistling…

We already know David can sing the pants off Robbie Williams’ “Angels,” so I’m not sure why it needed to be so overproduced. But it’s still pretty good and a far cry from Jessica Simpson’s cringe inducing version...

Even though David Cook is still my favorite David, I will absolutely be adding this one to my collection. And I have to say that its radio friendliness makes me worry even more about Cook’s CD…

“David Archuleta” hits stores Tuesday, November 11th…

Please Note: This review was based on an Internet stream of the album and not the actual CD…

Photo Credit: Amazon.com