Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Monday, March 10, 2008

This Week's "TV Guide" Cover Story

This week’s “TV Guide” promises “Secrets of the Top 12.”

And since I read the magazines so you don’t have to, here’s what we discovered…

David Archuleta didn’t hear Paula’s comment about popping his head off. When a friend told him later, he said, “Gosh, that’s kind of random.” That’s one way of putting it…

Syesha Mercado was a contestant on ABC’s failed “Idol” knockoff, “The One: Making a Music Star.” Syesha said when it was cancelled, “it didn’t really make me sad.” Maybe Austin, that show’s real talent, will audition for “Idol” in a later season…

About all of the buzz over her record deal, Carly Smithson said, “[The CD] went nowhere. It wasn’t like I had this [huge] career. My mom said, ‘Any publicity is good publicity.’ But it would’ve been nice if [the media storm] didn’t happen”…

Jason Castro got rave reviews for singing without his guitar last week, but it gave him nightmares since he’s more confident with it. “But I for sure had to mix it up—it was appropriate”…

David Cook is still bending over backwards to apologize for his exchange with Simon two weeks ago. “I think it slipped my mind that if we didn’t need the [judges’] criticism, we’d all already be huge. It was a lapse in judgment and obviously what was said was not meant to be disrespectful”…

Why was Ramiele Malubay so upset when Danny was voted off last week? Because she lost her “twin.” “We’re exactly the same. I just love him. He’s the other half of my heart”…

David Hernandez may have set himself up for a commercial deal. He told the magazine he chews a lot of Orbit gum to “get the saliva going.” I think that a commercial with David would be way better than those crazy “clean it up” commercials Orbit does now…

Brooke White’s husband, Dave, has vowed to not cut his hair until Brooke gets cut from the show. She said it’s now a “dark, curly mop” and that his co-workers are giving him a hard time at work…

Chikezie is thinking about playing the guitar for a future performance, but it would have to be a simple song since he’s a “novice at best.” Yeah, that’s a good idea…

For anyone who’s been wondering why Amanda Overmyer has been showing such little emotion, this might explain a few things. She told “TV Guide,” “I don’t have it in me to take off to California and beat the pavement to try to be a rock star. This is the only venue I would do music in because it’s easy—yes, you go on, or no, you go home.” Okay then…

Michael Johns recently helped score a documentary about snowboarder Shaun White. He got married last May at the Little White Wedding Chapel in Vegas with Elvis officiating…

About her record deal with Arista Nashville, Kristy Lee Cook said, “I had a shot a long time ago that didn’t work out for whatever reason, but I’m getting a chance now to prove myself”…

The “Secrets of the Top 12” issue of “TV Guide” hits the stands Thursday…