Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Auditions Day One: "Always Victorious"

Tonight, the fun begins as we visit the City of Brotherly Love, Philadelphia.

So, for the first time this season, here are my thoughts…

So I’m guessing those new opening credits will debut later because those were the same…

What is up with Randy’s goatee?...

So the show starts off with a feel-good story in Joey (“Sunday Morning”), who lost 204 pounds. It was a nice start and he’s got a nice voice…

How could the producers not let Alaa (“How Deep Is Your Love”) through? But how come his English was so much better when he was “singing”?

Melanie (“Unwritten”) really shouldn’t have told Simon she sang backup for Taylor Hicks. He wrote her off right then…

I have to admit I even laughed at James (“Go Down Moses”)…

With some lessons, Nick from Massilon (“Unchained Melody”) could actually have something…

I like Junot (“I Guess That’s Why They Call It the Blues”). He’s cool…

Jose ("Regresa a Mi") singing Il Divo. Nice trick…

I would’ve really liked it if Temptress (“And I Am Telling You”) could’ve actually been able to sing. That would’ve been a really great story. Kudos to the judges for how they handled it. I think I even saw Ryan crying. I know I did…

Is it just me or did Alexis’ (“Somebody to Love”) mom even seem disturbed by her? And what happened to “always victorious”? They were actually nice to her. And yeah, she’s a shoo-in to show up on the finale—if they get enough security…

Thank goodness Angela (“Signed, Sealed, Delivered”) could actually sing. She could be a big story…

And what was up with Simon saying that he couldn’t celebrate with other people when they got good news? What kind of cold place is England anyway?...

I had to turn down the volume for those first three auditions from day two. Holy cow!...

And what to say about Milo (“No Sex Allowed”)? Sadly, I think he actually thought he was doing a service to the country…

Kristy Lee Cook. What a great name for a country singer…

That sound you hear is the Princess Leia in the gold bikini fantasy being crushed for guys everywhere by the sight of Ben…

I hope Paula got a restraining order against Paul (“I’ll Just Stalk Her”)…

I guess Paula didn’t think Ben would actually go through with the waxing. I wonder if the “Idol” producers paid for it…

That’s the first time I’ve ever heard someone say they want to sell more records after they’re dead (Chris, “Follow Me”)…

What is up with all the “Star Wars” costumes? The scary thing is that with some serious work, Christina (“Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me”) might actually be able to sing. And did you see her actual hair? It was pretty…

And remember Christina, as Tim Gunn says, you cannot change how you are perceived, you can only change how you are presented…

Somehow I don’t think Simon was kidding when he said he’d bring Brooke (“Like a Star”) to the dark side…

In all, 29 people went through to Hollywood. And as usual, we saw very few of them. But I do think we saw more than last year…

Tomorrow, we head to Big D…

Your thoughts on day one?...