Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

One Last Frank Kelly Interview


So I’ve already told you about the comments Kelly made in the August issue of “Blender” about her conversation with Clive, but the magazine also has some other frank (as usual) thoughts from Kelly…

“Everyone keeps saying how hard this record must be, because of all the crap surrounding it, but that last one [“Breakaway”] was really hard to make. I literally got told to my face that it wouldn’t sell more than 600,000 copies. And I got lied to. One reason I don’t like working with people at the label is that they lie. They told me, ‘We really want you to go to Sweden. These people really want to write with you.’ So I flew to Sweden with lyrics I’d written to this track I’d been sent, ‘Since U Been Gone.’ I get there, and the writers are like, ‘Oh, we already have lyrics. We just want you to sing it.’ It was really awkward. It was mean. That’s why there’s no relationship with them. Because I don’t like to be lied to.”

Clive sent three songs for Kelly to consider in place of three songs on “My December.” One of them was “Black Hole,” which Lindsay Lohan released on her second CD. But no one told Kelly that the song had already been released. “I’m young, I’m a rookie—I get that. But when you’re sending me Lindsay Lohan covers to sing, why would you think I’d want your opinion?”

When RCA refused to authorize a release date, RCA executives and Kelly’s manager Jeff Kwatinetz engaged in daily “screaming matches.” Craig Marks of “Blender” writes, “The relationship flatlined in late April, when Davis, at a Sony BMG worldwide conference in Las Vegas, hurriedly presented four songs from ‘My December’ to the gathering of international department heads, complete with overhead projection of the lyrics, an unusual tactic that some felt was meant to show up Clarkson and Kwatinetz and serve as a chance for the ego-driven Davis to effectively wash his hands of the project (The label says Davis was only trying to gather feedback for what would be a challenging record to market.).”

Clarkson told “Blender” that she is already working on her next album, which she calls “country-blues.” She names Patty Griffin, Ryan Adams and “Dead Flowers”-era Rolling Stones as reference points for the album…