Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Final Thoughts...

So Jordin Sparks is our new American Idol. A friend of mine at work had her picked from the beginning because she was young and fresh and had a great personality. Now if Clive Davis doesn’t kill that, she’ll be in good shape. I really hope he doesn’t try to turn her into another Whitney or Mariah…

Back in the old days, there were no guarantees that the runner-up would get a record deal, but now that’s a given. I’m really eager to see what Blake will do with his career. I wonder if he’ll get signed by another record company. Clive Davis may not want to deal with another opinionated performer…

So those are my final thoughts on the winner, now to the show itself. First of all, a major jeer to FOX for not telling anyone the show would run over. I’m sure there will be some angry people out there who taped it and missed the ending…

This finale was nowhere near as good as last year’s. I have to wonder if the show spent so much effort getting stars for “Idol Gives Back” and the results show that they had exhausted their resources before the finale, so we got cheated on the number of stars. I can’t wait to hear the explanation of why Simon was not there for Bette Midler. I’m sure they’ll say he was back late from his smoke break, but I think he just couldn’t sit through it. I know I barely could…

And I really hope that next year the producers make a rule that if you can’t be there live, you can’t sing on the show. Those taped performances really zap the energy out of things…

Plus, I know that Sanjaya was this year’s big success story, but was it fair that he got to do his own number when most of the others didn’t get to? And speaking of him, where was that piece he taped that I told you about earlier? Did it get cut for time? We couldn’t have cut Bette Midler or Gwen Stefani for time?...

I want to catch the end of “Lost,” so I’m going to wrap this up. I’ll have much more tomorrow and Friday…

In the meantime, let me know. Are you happy with the results? What did you think of the show? And are you as over Clive Davis as I am?...