Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

More Fallout From Adam's AMA Performance...

Oh my…

“Good Morning America” has cancelled Adam Lambert’s scheduled performance tomorrow morning saying it isn’t appropriate for a morning audience.

However, EW.com is reporting that Adam will now be performing on “The Early Show” on CBS tomorrow morning. Adam was already scheduled to perform on “The Late Show with David Letterman” tomorrow night…

It will be interesting to see whether or not Adam tones his act down any. My guess is yes—but I’m betting only a little…

Yesterday, the Parents Television Council released a statement yesterday (via “The Hollywood Reporter” saying:

“In response to last night's broadcast of the ‘American Music Awards’ on ABC and a raunchy performance by Adam Lambert of ‘American Idol’ fame, the Parents Television Council is asking its members to contact ABC, Dick Clark Prods. and the show's advertisers with complaints. In areas where the explicit material aired before 10 p.m., PTC members are being urged to contact the FCC.”

Backstage at the awards show, Adam defended his performance (again via the “Reporter”):
“Female performers have been doing this for years -- pushing the envelope about sexuality -- and the minute a man does it, everybody freaks out. My goal was not to p--s people off; it was to promote freedom of expression and artistic freedom.”

On his Twitter page following the performance, Adam tweeted, “Hope u had fun tonight! We did. All hail freedom of expression and artistic integrity. :) fans: I adore u.”

Then in response to a tweet from Perez Hilton, Adam tweeted, “Thank you for the support. It WAS a bit pitchy. Don't know what was goin on with the sound. Same thing always went down on idol. but I had a blast and am looking forward to my upcoming performances.”

Again, let me say that my problem with the performance was not that it was too explicit. My problem with it was that it was just not very good. Most of Adam’s actions were completely unnecessary. But they did serve as a distraction from his less than stellar vocals.

And that’s the real shame here. Adam is better than this. But this is all people will be talking about for a while. I’m willing to take his word for it that it was a sound problem since it’s so unlike him to be so off…

But I’m sorry Adam. I don’t buy for a second that you were trying to promote “freedom of expression.” You were trying to shock us. And it didn’t work…

Now instead of shocked, I’m just kind of sad…