Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Monday, July 27, 2009

Kelly Clarkson Vs. Ryan Tedder

For the past few years, Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic has been the golden boy of songwriting and producing…

But now that he’s angered Kelly Clarkson, could those days be over?

In an interview with Canada’s CBC radio network, Kelly said she’s angry that Tedder used the same backing track for her new single that she co-wrote, “Already Gone,” that he used for another single—Beyonce’s hit, “Halo.”

According to MTV.com, Kelly said in the interview that she didn’t realize the similarities until she heard the songs back-to-back. She said Beyonce’s album came out while hers was already being printed.

She said, “No one's gonna be sittin' at home, thinkin' ‘Man, Ryan Tedder gave Beyoncé and Kelly the same track to write to,’ No, they're just gonna be sayin' I ripped someone off. I called Ryan and said, ‘I don't understand. Why would you do that?’”

Kelly also said she’s upset that her record label released “Gone” as a single without her blessing, but said there’s nothing she can do about it. “It sucks, but it's one of those things I have no control over. I already made my album. At this point, the record company can do whatever they want with it. It's kind of a sh---y situation, but ... you know, you learn.”

I can totally understand why RCA would want to release “Gone” as the next single because it’s one of the best tracks on the CD, but it is a bummer that Kelly will be accused of being a rip-off.

And I have to think that this will hurt Tedder. I know if I was a singer, I would be more nervous to work with him if I thought he might be giving me something he’d already shared with someone else.

So just how similar are they? Take a listen for yourself courtesy of YouTube:



And if you want even scarier proof, here are a couple of mash-ups for you. Kelly may have just discovered the similarity, but YouTube users knew it back in April.
Here’s a mash-up of the two for you, set to the music track from “Already Gone”:



And here’s “Already Gone” set to the track from “Halo”:



I want to slap Ryan Tedder just listening to these…