Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Idols Live Tour: Glad I Saved My Money

As late as last week, I was still debating on whether to cough up the money and go see the Idols Live Tour in Columbus.

But now, as I read reports from last night’s first stop in Glendale, I can’t tell you how relieved I am that I saved my money…

As I’ve told you before, the show has completely thrown out the group numbers format, which I truly enjoyed last year. They’ve even thrown out the duets format they had the year before last. Instead it’s just 10 mini-concerts. The problem with that is you’re forced to listen to three songs from the less talented singers as opposed to just one and a few lines from some group numbers (It sure saved Haley Scarnato last year.).

And according to the reports I’ve read this morning, that was indeed a real problem—at least for Ramiele.

Here then, courtesy of Olivia Barker from “USA Today” and M.J. from “M.J.’s Big Blog” is the rundown with my comments added…

Chikezie: “I Believe to My Soul,” “Caught Up,” “So High” (John Legend)
According to the reports, Chikezie got everyone excited, but the excitement quickly drained with the appearance of…

Ramiele Malubay: “I Want You Back,” “Love Will Lead You Back,” “If I Never See Your Face Again”
And can you blame them? “Love Will Lead You Back”? Are you kidding me? Did someone actually think she could pull that one off? And “If I Never See Your Face Again”? The Maroon 5/Rihanna song? Whose idea was that? Adam Levine barely pulls that one off! Who actually thought Ramiele could?

Michael Johns: “We Will Rock You,” “It’s All Wrong, But It’s All Right,” “Dream On”
Now this is a little more like it. And apparently the crowd agreed…

Kristy Lee Cook: “Squeezin’ the Love Out of You,” “God Bless the U.S.A.,” “Cowgirls”
Okay, does anyone even know how that first and last one go? What’s up with the obscure country songs?...

Carly Smithson: “Bring Me to Life,” “Crazy On You,” “I Drove All Night”
So the rumored Carly-Michael duet never happened, but she does have three strong numbers. I would’ve liked to have seen them fit in “Come Together” though, but maybe they were only allowed one Beatles tune. And that went to…

Brooke White: “Let It Be,” “1, 2, 3, 4,” “Yellow”
So are we trying to make Brooke seem a little hipper with the whole Feist thing? And apparently Brooke did Coldplay’s “Yellow” on her pre-Idol album…

Group Number: “(Pride) In the Name of Love”
Apparently “Idol Gives Back” pictures played on the screens during this one…

Intermission

Jason Castro: “Over the Rainbow,” “Crazy,” “Daydream”
I guess “Idol” finally got the clearance issue settled with “Gnarls Barkley” because people finally got to hear Jason do his audition song, “Crazy,” and I admit it’s pretty good. But wonder why they didn’t have him do “Hallelujah”? Too depressing?...

Syesha Mercado: “Umbrella,” “If I Ain’t Got You,” “Listen”
What? No “Hit Me Up”? Just kidding…

David Archuleta: “Angels,” “Apologize,” “Stand By Me” (with “Beautiful Girls” lyric) and “When You Say You Love Me” (Josh Groban)
Don’t tell me someone decided that Jeff Archuleta was right about that whole “Beautiful Girls” thing? And you know Archie’s fans just ate up the Josh Groban song…

David Cook: “Hello,” “Time of My Life,” “Don’t Want to Miss a Thing,” “My Hero,” “Billie Jean”
Are you kidding me?! $60+ for tickets and you don’t even get to hear Cook sing “Always Be My Baby”? What a ripoff?!

Encore: Group Number: “Please Don’t Stop the Music”
So how much money did Def Jam kick in to get THREE Rihanna songs during the concert? Sheesh…

So what do you guys think? Do you agree with me that this year’s concert seems a little lame?

I’m sure there will be plenty of videos available later, but in the meantime, you can finally see Jason doing “Crazy” here. It’s worth the listen…