Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Monday, April 28, 2008

Phil Stacey CD Review: Another Solid Lyric Street Outing


Note: This review was written based on an Internet stream of the CD and not the actual CD…

I was a little concerned that the Lyric Street Records magic would wear off by the time Phil Stacey’s CD came out.

And I admit the first time I heard it, I wasn’t all that impressed. But maybe that was just because I had such high expectations. Or maybe it’s because I’m still a little miffed that Lyric Street didn’t send me an advance copy like they did with Bucky.

Whatever the reason, I was wrong because the CD is yet another solid outing.

I’m betting that Kristy Lee Cook is praying Lyric Street gives her a call…

The CD gets off to a great rocking start with “It’s Who You Know,” which has a really catchy chorus…

The intro of “Looking Like Love” sounds so much like Jude Cole’s “Baby It’s Tonight” that I thought it was a cover. But it’s another good song with a strong chorus…

Then it’s the solid first single, “If You Didn’t Love Me,” which is taking way too long to climb the country charts, in my opinion…

“No Way Around a River” is the CD’s first ballad and it has a nice gospel sound to it…

“’Round Home” is a really country song, but it works after the second or third listen. However, even multiple listens doesn’t fix the musical interlude on the end…

“Be Good to Each Other” is a feel-good moral lesson…

“Find You” has another catchy chorus that focuses well on Phil’s soaring voice…

Then we finally get another ballad in “You Are Mine,” which shows off Phil’s subtlety…

It’s at this point when the songs start to repeat themselves. “What I’m Fighting For” sounds like “If You Didn’t Love Me” and “Looking for Love.” “Still Going Through” also has that familiar ring, but the chorus is good--even with the strange transition from the verse…

Unfortunately, an otherwise solid debut ends with the album’s only real clunker. “Identity” has overly simple lyrics and the repeated refrain of “Anything less is not us” gets really annoying toward the end.

Overall, though, the CD is a good one, and I hope it’s a big seller. I’m just sorry it’s dropping the same week as Madonna since that’s bound to steal focus…

You can listen for yourself here. Be sure to let me know what you think…
Photo provided by Lyric Street Records