Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Auditions Day Three: Keep On Singing

After all of the hype Randy gave San Diego, I was expecting to be blown away by someone on tonight’s episode. But it didn’t happen.

And I think Renaldo just set the bar too high for the bad auditions…

Here are my thoughts as the show unfolded…

So we started with someone even Simon called “obnoxious” (Tetiana, “Someone to Watch Over Me”)? Yipes!...

Now here’s our sappy story! A single dad (Perrie, “I’ll Make Love to You”). I think he’ll be a major player. And did his little boy just say, “What’s up, Randy?”…

If you’ve forgotten, Michael (“I’ve Been Loving You Too Long”) is one of the alleged ringers. His band, The Rising, was signed to Madonna’s Maverick Records in 2003. Personally, I wasn’t that impressed…

You just knew that the Mariah Carey superfan (Valerie, “Against All Odds”) was going to be bad. I loved Simon’s reaction…

Apparently, Christopher’s (“Greatest Love of All”) plan was to just keep on singing. And he wasn’t alone tonight…

By the way, does Ryan have security with him?...

Samantha (“Til You Come Back to Me”) was really good. I think Simon has a crush—but not nearly as strong as hers (and her sister’s) for him…

If Blake’s (“Stand By Me”) mom really wants him to be the next American Idol, why did she let him dress up like the Statue of Liberty two years ago?...

I thought the judges said San Diego was the best. They turned away everyone in an entire hour?...

Alberto’s “Live” was not nearly as catchy as Renaldo’s “We Are All Brothers,” was it?...

I was worried that David (“Waiting On the World to Change”) wouldn’t be able to sing. I have a feeling that lyric forgetfulness will come back to haunt him in Hollywood…

I don’t know if Carly Smithson (“I’m Every Woman”) is the ringer everyone’s been talking about or not. The reports have mentioned an Irish singer named Carly Hennessy, who had a six-album deal with MCA. Personally, I wasn’t that impressed and I definitely wouldn’t have given her a six-album deal…

In all, thirty people made it through, which is the most of any city we’ve seen. And tomorrow, we go to South Carolina…