Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Sunday, December 9, 2007

"Next Great Band": Is the Show "Doom"ed?

Tonight, “The Next Great American Band” reached its final four, who performed the music of Queen and one of their own songs.

Unfortunately, we had to say goodbye to Dot Dot Dot (if you can call that quick wave a real goodbye). When it came down to them and Denver and the Mile High Orchestra, I knew that the judges’ criticisms of Adam would eliminate them. Plus, I think that the story of DMHO struggling to pick songs last week gained them votes.

And let’s face it. If every DMHO member’s entire family voted, that would be enough to keep them in.

Here’s the rundown…

The Clark Brothers: “These Are the Days of Our Lives”
So, the brothers took Dicko’s advice and added two band members—a guitarist and a drummer. But I think maybe Ashley should’ve concentrated a little more on his vocal. However, I do agree with Dicko that the additional members did allow the brothers to have more stage presence. B

“Homestead”
I agree that the two additional members give the band a fuller sound, but that doesn’t give Ashley an excuse to slack off on his vocals. And kudos to Dicko for knocking them for their lyrics. I didn’t agree, but at least someone knocked them for something. B

Light of Doom: “We Will Rock You”
I really thought this was too obvious of a choice for them. The beginning was interesting with Erik and the three guitarists playing drums, but there was no real segue into the actual song. And for some bizarre reason, they chose to speed up the tempo. Erik’s vocal was pretty good, but the song was a mess. The judges absolutely trashed them, but I don’t think that’s enough to stop them. F

“A Matter of Time”
Did they have somewhere else to be tonight? This performance seemed incredibly rushed as well. I agree with John that the song didn’t have any kind of hook, but the performance was better than their first one. D

And what was up with John’s dig at professional songwriters? Why do I think there’s a story there?

Sixwire: “Fat Bottomed Girls”
It’s great to see these guys back to what they do best—sing. The harmonies on this one were GORGEOUS. A+

“Go On”
I smell crossover hit. I really want these guys to win so I can buy their album. A+

By the way, Sixwire’s Warner Bros. CD is now selling on the Internet for $65 and up…

Denver and the Mile High Orchestra: “Sleepin’ On the Sidewalk”
Listening to those fantastic horns, I just kept thinking, what if Melinda was their lead singer? But she isn’t and we’re still stuck with the stiff Denver. It was okay, but I’m pretty much over them. B+

“Big White House”
Did Denver actually show a little stage presence? I liked the chorus, but the song was a little loungy for me. B

If this show is going to gain any credibility or buzz in its final weeks, it’s time for America to do the right thing. It’s time for Light of Doom to go home. They were cute for a while, but now it’s time for the real competition to start.

And that means Sixwire and The Clark Brothers in a musical showdown.

But first, we have to get rid of that pesky Denver…

So what do you think? Can Light of Doom be stopped?

And while you're thinking about that, check out Sixwire's performances to see why I like them so much...