Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Jordin CD Review: Does the Absence of Clive Mean a Good CD?


I was starting to wonder a little about Jordin Sparks’ debut CD. I had expected to have already listened it to it five or six times by now on the Internet, but it was not made available to any of the usual outlets.

Finally, it showed up today on MSN, and I’ve since given it two listens.

So, let me get right to it by answering the question I posed in the title of this post: Does the absence of Clive Davis mean a good CD?

In this case, absolutely…

That’s not to say that Clive’s participation would’ve automatically doomed the CD, but it definitely wouldn’t have given us the fresh sound that “Jordin Sparks” has. I dare say that it’s the freshest of any of the “Idol” CDs—and that’s a good thing.

The CD kicks off with the first single, “Tattoo,” which has taken some flack from critics for being a ripoff of Beyonce’s “Irreplaceable” (They’re from the same producing team.). But I still think it’s pretty catchy…

The second track, “One Step At a Time,” makes it clear this isn’t going to be your usual “Idol” album with it’s catchy beat and beautiful production…

“No Air” is a duet with Chris Brown and it’s got hit written all over it…

Jordin co-wrote “Freeze” which is a moodier R&B track, but still quite catchy…

Most of the reviews I read singled out the next track, “Shy Boy,” as a standout. It’s from the hit-making duo of Bloodshy and Avant, who gave us Britney Spears’ “Toxic” and her new single, “Piece of Me.” But for me, this one’s a little too Britney…

Fortunately, that misstep is followed by the best track on the CD, “Now You Tell Me.” This is a fantastic pop song with its Coldplay-like drums…

The next two songs, “Next To You” and “Just For the Record” are okay. They just sound a lot alike…

Jordin’s first real ballad on the CD is “Permanent Monday” and it’s a pretty good one with some strong lyrics about how her breakup is causing every day to seem like a Monday…

“Young and In Love” is another Bloodshy and Avant track, but it is WAY overproduced…

The sound of “See My Side” has been done before, I just can’t place by who…

The CD concludes in a wash of sentimentality with the Christian pop song, “God Loves Ugly” and her “Idol” single, “This Is My Now.” “Ugly” doesn’t quite fit the CD and it’s a little too unbelievable coming from someone as adorable as Jordin. And you know how I feel about “Now.” I really think they should’ve left it off…

All in all, this is a solid effort and it’s gotten a lot of great reviews. But good reviews do not a hit album make.

Remember, I really liked Taylor’s too…

You can listen for yourself here. Be sure to let me know what you think…