Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Friday, April 27, 2007

Rock Week: What if the Idols Had to Sing Bon Jovi?

So now that we’ve gotten “Idol Gives Back” out of the way, let’s concentrate on next week’s theme…

It’s rock week with Bon Jovi (“Entertainment Weekly” reports that Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora will be the coaches.), which means Tuesday’s show should be pretty interesting—especially since two people are going home…

“Entertainment Weekly” has made some interesting suggestions for the Idols, including “Voices Carry” for Jordin and “Wonderwall” for Phil. I think if Squeeze is considered rock that Phil should absolutely do “Tempted” with that Paul Carrack sound-alike voice he’s got…

But I thought I would pose a different question to you. What if the Idols had to sing a Bon Jovi song?

After a lot of thought, here’s what I’ve come up with…

Phil needs to stay with that country vibe, so I’d go with “Who Says You Can’t Go Home.” Plus, that song ties in with his whole “I miss my family thing”…

You know I’m over Chris, so I don’t really care what he sings, but I think he’d choose something like “Wanted Dead or Alive” and then kill it with runs…

Melinda needs a song she can just belt out, so I’d go with “Blaze of Glory.” I know that’s technically a Jon Bon Jovi song, but I think it counts. If that one wouldn’t work, maybe she could do “Bed of Roses”…

I originally had LaKisha down for “Bed of Roses,” but since she’s into that whole inspirational thing now, I could see her going with “I’ll Be There for You”…

Blake was a tough one for me, but then I heard that voice of his doing a dramatic “Tommy used to work on the docks” and I chose “Livin’ On a Prayer.” And maybe he could do the “ooh-wah” part too. I’ve been missing his fun side lately…

Jordin is the most likely of the six to actually do a Bon Jovi track since she did both a No Doubt song and a Martina McBride song. It’s tricky for Jordin because she doesn’t want to come off silly (like she did with “Hey Baby”), but I’d really like to see her rock out. So, I picked “You Give Love a Bad Name”…

So now it’s your turn. Get out those “Slippery When Wet” CDs and tell me which Bon Jovi songs you’d like to see the Idols attempt. And if you have suggestions for the rock theme, post those as well…