Idol Chit-Chat
This is your place to discuss all things "American Idol." The performances, the judges, the past contestants — it’s all right here.

Friday, April 6, 2007

Gina Speaks...

Before I share with you Gina Glocksen’s final thoughts, let me just say that after watching her elimination again on YouTube yesterday, it was truly one of the most emotional I have ever seen on the show.

Yes, Alaina Alexander shed a lot of tears, but we didn’t really care about her. Gina didn’t deserve to go just yet…

About her exit song, “Smile,” Gina told reporters, “That song is definitely going to be a very special song for me for the rest of my life now.” Gina told “Entertainment Weekly” she “knew the minute they said it was Tony Bennett week that I would sing ‘Smile’ because it’s from ‘My Girl 2’ and I loved that movie.”

Gina said that when it came down to her and Haley, she “had no idea” what was going to happen, but there was no question in her mind which group was the bottom three. “Right before Ryan went to commercial break, Haley, Phil and I looked at each other and started laughing. Like, do we really need to wait until after commercial to know which group is bottom three? We just knew.”

Gina also detailed the “Idol” week for reporters: “We pick our song on Thursday, rehearse them for three days, meet with our mentor on Saturday, do the Ford shoot on Sunday, rehearse on Monday, show on Tuesday, show on Wednesday, pick songs on Thursday, and it’s just a continuous circle.”

Maybe Gina’s most shocking comment to reporters is that she sees Simon Cowell as a
“parental type” on the show. “He’ll say that I had a bad performance just to make me stronger because he did like me and he does see something special in me. He just wanted to push me to that next level.”

Next week, Gina planned to sing Gloria Estefan’s “Everlasting Love” (All together now: UGH!). The theme week she was most looking forward to was Bon Jovi/rock week, because she wanted to sing “Livin’ On a Prayer.”

And her dream to sing her favorite song, Pink’s “Who Knew,” was dashed by Pink who doesn’t clear her songs.

Interestingly, I didn’t read one comment in any of the Gina stories about Sanjaya. I’ve got to believe that someone asked her, so maybe she refused to comment. There are rumors going on that the other finalists are pretty frustrated over the whole thing…

Labels: ,